5.15.2010

A review.

So, it took me less than 24 hours to read High Fidelity, which is a good sign if looking for a book that grabs you (I'm easy; all it took was "Hertforshire") and is able to remain intriguing and interesting for the duration of 200+ pages. Bonus points if it can make you laugh out loud (check, several time) and provide certain passages that require rereading just because the truth so apparent in those lines is worth a double absorption (check, check!).

So, I think now High Fidelity is going to be my "King Lear," which, I was told by my ancient, sweater-vest wearing, pipe-smoking professor, will become more and more meaningful the older one gets. Likewise, when Rob pines for the hopefulness of 15, 20, and "even" 25, I feel like I am not to that stage of intense dissatisfaction; I am still naively hopeful. Yet, I have never had so deep a commitment with anyone, to feel "sorted" or "settled." I just watched the trailer, and (naturally) I am disappointed they didn't hire British actors, but I guess I should be grateful they didn't ask the American actors to attempt British accents.

Though, past revelations have taught me I am easily fooled by Brits putting on the American. Maybe it's not that hard, if you're already into that sort of thing. (You know: acting).

Finally, I think listening to Nick Hornby on tape would be great because it'd be so much better in full Brit-speak. I mean, of course in my undying desire to be British, I am constantly trying to persuade the voice in my head to speak properly the Queen's English (though less posh, no doubt), and it's quite difficult. No way I would have finished this book in less than 24 hours if I was trying to "translate" it in such a way!

Alas, the ending was rather anticlimactic and, I thought, unfulfilling, but I hope it's being heralded as an "instant classic" doesn't mean that type of settling is all we're really able to hope for.

I well liked the American woman. And I also like using the word "well" like that. Which, if not aware of my amorous feelings towards all things English, looks wrong, or, at the every least, poorly punctuated.

So, fine: "I, well, liked the American woman!"
That's what he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment